Tuesday was the 2017 Shawano Area Community Foundation Celebration of Giving Awards held at The Gathering in Shawano. The award recipients were honored for their volunteer work to better improve Shawano County. Five different awards were handed out and each recipient received $1,000 to donate to a local non-profit organization of their choice:
- Len Pubanz received the Shawano Community Service Award and his donation supported the Shawano Farmers Market
- Ed Grys received the Health Care Volunteer Award and donated to the Kids Klub at First Presbyterian Church.
- Emma Schmidt was awarded the Youth Volunteer Award and chose to donate to children’s ministries at Hope Community Church.
- Bill Mielke took home the Volunteer Educator Award and donated to the Shawano County Fair for its 4-H Youth Building project
- Laura Magee was the recipient of the Robert D. Nueske Wittenberg Community Service Award and she made her donation to Grapple on the Gridiron.
The Celebration of Giving Awards was instituted eight years ago and has allowed volunteers to donate close to $50,000 to non-profit organizations in their communities.